CW Spoke at Lesley University
Attorney Wilensky was a speaker at a Lesley University event held on October 13th: "Financial and Estate Planning, An Introduction for Parents and Guardians of Children and Adults with Disabilities". Attorney Wilensky gave a presentation on financial planning and the legal tools available to people with disabilities to effectively plan for the future.
CW's Has Opened a Satellite Office in Kendall Square
CW is excited to announce that it has recently opened a satellite office in the Cambridge Innovation Center, located in Kendall Square, Cambridge. The locating of a CW office in the Cambridge Innovation Center will allow CW to be easily accessible by its start-up technology clients. This further solidifies CW as a key advisor in Boston's emerging high-tech and bio tech industries.
CW's Attorney Named Super Lawyer
Attorney Dai has been honored again by Super Lawyers as one of the Rising Stars in New England in 2016 for her experience and expertise in Business and Corporate Law.
CW Spoke at the Eastern Bank's Asian American Small Business Expo
Attorney Dai was a speaker at the May 16th event " Eastern bank's Asian American Small Business Expo" hosted by Eastern Bank. Attorney Dai gave a presentation with regards to starting up a new business in Massachusetts.
1.1 Million Dollar Judgment Entered for CW's Client
CW successfully obtained a 1.1 Million Dollar jury judgment in favor of its client.. In 2014, Attorneys Cutler and Dai, on behalf of their client, brought suit seeking damages for misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, conversion and fraud, among other claims.
A jury verdict was rendered in the United States District Court in favor of CW's client in the amount of $1,100,000. Following the trial, the Court awarded additional damages in the amount of $28,265.59, plus prejudgment interest.
Enargy Power (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd., et. al. v. Xiaolong Wang, et. al., Docket No. 1:13-cv-11348-DJC.
CW was Counsel on One of the Leading Cases of 2016
Attorney Cutler was appellate counsel in the case of New England Survey Systems, Inc. v. Department of Industrial Accidents, 89 Mass. App. Ct. 631 (2016), wherein Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly stated that the appellate court's decision was one of 2016's "Most Important Opinions". The decision concerned the statutory scheme for workers' compensation.
See the write-up here.
CW Spoke at the Harvard Countway Library
On March 18, 2017, Attorney Cutler and Attorney Dai were speakers at the Harvard Countway Library before the China - US Lawyers Forum. The Forum consisted of a large contingency of Chinese lawyers traveling to the US as part of a program to better understand the legal issues and obstacle facing their respective clients seeking to do business in the US. Attorney Cutler gave a presentation on corporate litigation and Attorney Dai presented on the law of trade secrets in the US.
CW Spoke at the Belmont Chinese Association
Attorney Cutler and Attorney Li were speakers at the Belmont Chinese Association on February 7, 2017. Attorney Cutler and Attorney Li spoke on the fundamental legal issues confronted by start-up and existing businesses in Massachusetts. The presentation was given in both English and Chinese.
CW Soundly Defeats an Anti-SLAPP Motion
Attorney Cutler recently defeated a complex anti-SLAPP action and motion to dismiss brought in the Middlesex Superior Court. This special motion to dismiss was brought by defendants' following Attorney Cutler's successful efforts in obtaining a preliminary injunction as to each of the named defendants. The Middlesex Superior Court denied each and every aspect of defendants' anti-SLAPP motion, as well as defendants' separate request for relief under Rule 12(b)(6) of the Massachusetts Rules of Civil Procedure.
CW's Victory Before the First Circuit Court of Appeals
Attorney Cutler prevailed on an appeal that CW brought on behalf of its client seeking to overturn Judge Woodlock's sua sponte dismissal of the client's contractual and independent sales representative claims on the legal theory of third-party beneficiary. The case concerned an Ohio manufacturer's breach of its agreement with CW's client and the consequential failure by that manufacturer to pay commissions to CW's client. The agreement between the parties was with regards to the manufacture and sale of detectable warning tiles that are commonly embedded in public sidewalks at crosswalks. The three judge panel reversed Judge Woodlock's ruling and remanded the case back to the trial court to be tried before a jury. Meadors, et. al. v. Cont'l Structural Plastics, Inc., Docket No. 16-1007.
1.6 Million Dollar Judgment Entered For CW's Client
Plaintiff brought a suit against a CW client, who was his former fiance for jewelry and monies owed, among other items. Attorney Cutler, on behalf of CW's client, responded by counter-suing him for fraud, missing jewelry, unpaid bills, and other items. The plaintiff failed to properly comply with court rules and procedures and Attorney Cutler successfully had plaintiff's complaint dismissed and obtained a default judgment on his client's counterclaim. The judgment was entered in favor of CW's client in the amount of One Million, Six Hundred Eleven Thousand, Four Hundred Fifty-Eight Dollars and Sixty-Four Cents ($1,611,458.64) in Norfolk District Court. Bension Vardi v. Jacqueline Jacobson, Docket No. 1554cv000280.
Attorney Dai Written Up in the Chinese Professional Network (波士顿华人协作网) and the World Journal (世界日报)
Attorney Dai recently gave a presentation on Massachusetts confidentiality and non-compete agreements at the 2015 New England Chinese New Year Gala and Community Enrichment event. She was written up by the Chinese Professional Network (波士顿华人协作网) and the World Journal (世界日报) for her presentation.
Attorney Connie Dai Honored As A Super Lawyer By Bostonese.Com Attorney Dai has been honored as a Super Lawyers by Bostonese.com. Bostonese.com is the largest English-Chinese bilingual news magazine in the USA. As discussed on Bostonese.com, Attorney Dai was recognized as one of the Rising Stars in New England in 2014 for her expertise and experience in Business/Corporate law.
Attorney Connie Dai Honored As Super Lawyer
Attorney Dai has been honored by Super Lawyers. Attorney Dai was recognized as one of the Rising Stars in New England in 2014 for her expertise and experience in Business/Corporate law. Attorney Dai was recognized for her expertise and experience in Business/Corporate law. Super Lawyers selects attorneys using a multiphase selection process which combines peer nominations and evaluations with third party research.
Attorney Dai Featured in Boston Magazine
CUTLER & WILENSKY LLP has hosted a number legal seminars for entrepreneurs and professionals dealing with a variety of legal areas. Below is a listing of some of our seminar topics.
- Business Law – Formation, Liability, Fiduciary Duties, and Tax Issues
- Intellectual Property and Other Legal Issues for Emerging Companies
- Fiscal Cliff and Tax Opportunities
- Business Law – Contracts, Disputes, and Franchises
- Employment Law
- Wills, Trusts, and Estates
- Real Estate Law
We have also been asked to speak at a number of legal workshops hosted by Harvard, MIT, New England Chinese Information Network Association (NECINA), Boston THAA and Tsinghua University Alum Association. Below is a list of the workshops that CUTLER & WILENSKY LLP has recently participated in as well as some information on those workshops.
- A Conflict Resolution Workshop, Harvard Extension Service & Leadership
- Harvard Entrepreneurship Conference 2012, Harvard Extension Business Society
- Legal Issues Facing Emerging Companies, 2012 MIT CHIEF
- Judge’s Panel on Pitch to Succeed Entrepreneur Workshop, 2013 NECINA
- Know Your Rights – Employment and Labor Law, May 2013, MIT CAST and Boston THAA
- Playing By The Rules – Business and Corporate Laws You Need to Know Before Starting Your Own Business, 2014 MIT CAST and Tsinghua University Alum Association.
- Asset Protection – Minimize Property Owner’s Liability and Estate Planning, 2014 MIT Tang Center
- Employment Law, 2015 Asian American Landlord Association
- Confidentiality and Non-compete in Massachusetts, February 2015 New England Chinese New Year Gala and Community Enrichment
- Know Your Legal Obligation in Corporate and Employment and Business Tax Expense and Record Keeping,, June 2015 CW Boston Office
- Must-Know Legal Knowledge for Business, September 2015 Boston Wechart Startup Group
- Basic Legal Knowledge for Start-Ups, October 2015, Northeastern University Chinese Student and Scholar Association (NEUCSA)
- Basic Legal Knowledge for Start-Ups, January 2016 NEUCSA
- Must-Know Legal Knowledge for Start-Ups, March 2016 Boston University Chinese Student and Scholar Association (BUCSSA)
- Basic Legal Knowledge for Start-Ups, March 2016 NECINA
- Must-Know Legal Knowledge for Start-Ups, November 2016 BUCSSA
- Fundamental Legal Issues Confronted By Start-Ups, February 2017, Belmont Chinese Association
- China - US Forum, March 2017 Harvard Countway Library
- Eastern Bank's Asian American Small Business Expo, May 2017